The Controls Engineer will work with the engineering team to provide concept and design and supply controls engineering resources and maintains focus on continuous improvement by applying 80/20, PLS, and USa principles/techniques and makes process improvement recommendations to management.
- Conceptualize, engineer, and complete detailed design of controls, safety, and power circuits for automation projects. Use AutoCAD to design electrical schematics, pneumatic systems and panel layouts for automation systems per specifications. Create specs from variety of sources including from scratch as required. Evaluate/integrate designs with mechanical design.
- Apply broad knowledge of technical principles, procedures and practices to define product concept, design schematics, layouts, bills of material (hardware selection) associated software, and wiring diagrams. Ensure safety concepts are part of design.
- Leverage existing designs to the greatest extent possible and work to build designs that can be re-used for similar applications in the future.
- Modify and customize equipment as needed to meet customer’s specifications.
- Assist Application Engineers with quoting System controls as needed.
- Outline machine sequence of operations by flowcharting format.
- Program PLCs (Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Siemens) using ladder logic. Use structured, clear programming.
- Assist in outsourcing controls engineering as required. Source and manage sub-contractors.
- Participate in kick-off and design review meetings as required.
- Meet project budget, cost and time schedules and deadlines.
- Test, troubleshoot, debug designs, pilot runs, customer acceptance training.
- Create and maintain as required, programs for Standard products.
- Travel and interface with customer as required to troubleshoot controls issues at customer sites.
- Perform electrical and some mechanical work as a standalone support person
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Prefer BSEE or BSEET
- 5-7 years design experience using AutoCAD for electrical controls, schematics, wiring diagrams and PLC programming (Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Siemens) for industrial machines. Experience to include strong team player and some project management of design and machine building. Purchasing experience, a plus.
- PC skills to include Word, Excel, Windows, MS Office.
- Demonstrated math, negotiation, motivational, team leadership and organizational skills.