Responsible for directing the operations of quality assurance personnel; developing, implementing, and maintaining policies and procedures; establishing a quality assurance system and team that promotes customer satisfaction, achieving superior quality and reliability levels; managing the warranty claims process; establishing and maintaining an effective Quality Management System (QMS); leading quality initiatives for ISO and internal and external audits; conducting site inspections as needed.
- Manage, select, review, coach, and retain a high-performance team.
- Conduct timely and accurate employee performance evaluations; address performance issues as needed.
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and intra-departmental communications; maintains managerial relationships by encouraging and providing a timely, two-way flow of information between subordinates, management, and user groups.
- Motivate staff to improve quantity and quality of work performed and provides training and development opportunities as needed.
- Promote statistical process controls where necessary.
- Develop organizational strategies, analysis, and recommendations for quality department; ensure objectives align with organizational objectives; continually evaluate existing processes to determine areas of improvement.
- Develop, analyze, and administer the departmental budget; approve and manage expenditures; forecast short and long-range budgeting needs; ensure expenditures are in alignment with approved budget.
Quality Management Systems
- Develop, implement, manage and integrate a QMS for the plant; serve as primary quality control resource for problem identification, resolution, loss reporting and continuous improvements.
- Design, implement and document procedures for process control, process improvement, testing and inspection.
- Establish and implement metrics system, including but not limited to, process capability, control charts, and measurement quality in order to monitor systems effectiveness and to enable managers to make sound product quality decisions.
- Lead the efforts in formalization, development, and implementation of Quality Performance Systems related to various quality standards and concepts of operation, including but not limited to, Total Quality Management, Six Sigma, ISO Standards and other formal quality management programs.
- Develop and analyzes statistical data and product specifications to determine present standards; establish proposed quality and reliability expectancy of finished products.
- Lead and participate in internal and external quality control/assurance audits. (ISO)
- Identify, assess and incorporate best practices related to customer satisfaction attainment into annual improvement plans.
- Review contracts to identify all critical customer requirements; review and coordinate implementation of customer quality requirements.
- Investigate and report customer complaints in accordance with ISO procedures.
- Monitor vendor performance and establish criteria and rating system for critical vendors.
Analysis and Reporting
- Perform root-cause analysis and other problem solving activities to identify effective corrective actions and process improvements.
- Establish collection and analysis systems of statistical data to predict trends that will affect improvements of product quality.
- Analyze customers’ product specifications to establish efficient, cost-effective requirements for ease of manufacturing and reproducibility.
- Prepare and reports statistical data including but not limited to quality issues, trends and losses to management.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of computer programs including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SAP, QMS, CRM and CAQ.
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control software
- Broad knowledge of theory and principles of statistics and statistical process control
- Working knowledge of ISO recertification audits and internal audit processes
- Knowledge of auditing and certification methodologies
- Knowledge and experience in designing and implementing quality systems
- Knowledge of inspection and control methods, techniques and documentation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated Root Cause and Corrective Action/Problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead, supervise and manage employees in a team environment
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Ability to be detail-oriented with strong quantitative analytical skills with an innovative approach to problem solving
Education, Certification/License & Work Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Quality, Business Administration or related discipline
- 5+ years of QA systems implementation and management experience
- 5 years of experience managing others
- Plant experience strongly desired
- Six Sigma green-belt/black-belt certification preferred